I haven’t been ice skating in years, but this winter I’ve been twice, both at the Downtown Sacramento Ice Rink with my best friends! I forgot how much fun it is, even if you fall a few times. The ice rink downtown is newly renovated and is the perfect place to hand out and have fun!
It’s open from November through January and has tons of different events going on all season long. So next winter, make sure you head here for some fun ice skating! I haven’t been to any, but they sound like so much fun for everyone. Especially because of the variety from princesses and superheroes, drag queens, story time, and pajamas.
These last two times I’ve gone with my friends and we laughed, caught up, and had an awesome time together. Since my friends and I weren’t very good at ice skating when we first started, we tried using the plastic scooters for some extra help! The ice rink is a perfect place for all ages and all skill levels to have some winter fun together.
Here’s the details…
1. Admission of pretty cheap and unlike many other places, there’s no set session time, just skate until you’re done! However… you get pretty tired after a couple hours.
- For kids 6 and under, it’s always $6
- For a regular skating day, $13
- And for the Peak Skate time of the year, $15
2. To make your time at the rink even more enjoyable, they have lots to rent for your time there. They have scooters, lockers, helmets, and water. If you cold, you can get a scarf or gloves too!
3. Hint! There’s a Starbucks right across the street perfect for a warm cup of hot chocolate in the winter! After all, it does get pretty chilly. Plus there are also tons of new restaurants everywhere that are a part of the new Downtown Commons (DOCO) area.
4. It is cold, especially with a breeze, so do layer for your walk over, the beginning, and then after, but when you start skating and get into it, you actually start to get pretty sweaty. I had to take off my jacket and beanie!
I really enjoyed the whole experience, it was super fun and a relatively inexpensive place to hang out for a few hours.
-Hannah Van Der Kamp
Our Favorite Parts
My friends and I had such an awesome time ice skating this winter. It was a perfect way to spend out winter break and holiday season.
One of our favorite parts is that there’s no set session time for skating. You just skate until your tired or ready for some food! This made it super nice because we could sit down, take breaks, and enjoy our time without worrying about running out of time.
Another awesome factor is that it’s outdoor and beautifully decorated. There are cute picture spots around the outside of the rink that we totally took advantage of! The outdoor breeze, trees, and sunlight also makes the experience much more enjoyable because it’s a little slice of outdoor fun in the middle of a big city.
I was honestly really surprised at how much I liked the ice rink! It wasn’t skating itself so much, it was the atmosphere. The Starbucks across the intersection made it easy to stop for coffee on the way in, and there were photo spots everywhere that made it easy to get cute pictures! The twinkle lights over the ice, the white picket fence surrounding the area, and the barbecue restaurant across the street that made everything smell like smoked pork the whole time just added to the experience!
There are so many other bits that make the Downtown Sacramento Ice Rink a place to remember, but you’ll have to see for yourself!